Education in Latvia
The Latvian education system consists of pre-school education, basic education, secondary education and higher education.
General education in Latvia in total lasts 12 years consisting of compulsory 9-years basic education and 3-years secondary education. Additionally pre-school education at age of 5-6 is compulsory in Latvia.
Basic education stage comprises general basic education (grades 1-9) and vocational basic education. Secondary education stage comprises general secondary education, vocational secondary education and vocational education. Higher education comprises both academic and professional study programmes.
- More information on educational system: Ministry of Education and Science website
- More information on study programmes for foreign students: Study in Latvia Study in Europe
- Latvian Self-Assessment Report about referencing the Latvian education system to the EQF and the QF-EHEA (2nd version, May 2012): Latvian English
- Latvian one-off Report on Validation "Implementation of Validation of Non-Formal and Informal Learning Outcomes in Latvia" (2018): Latvian English
- Updated Self-Assessment Report about referencing the Latvian Qualifications Framework to the EQF and the QF-EHEA (2018): Latvian English