The Education Law (1998) stipulates that basic assessment principles and procedures for obtained education are regulated by the state education standards. The acquisition of professional qualifications is stipulated by the Vocational Education Law (1999) and the Law on Higher Education Institutions (1995); the latter regulates also the assessment in the obtained academic higher education. At the end of the acquisition of education in accredited education programmes there are state organised examinations.
Students’ assessment is carried out in 10 point scale according to such criteria:
- The volume and quality of obtained knowledge;
- Obtained skills;
- Attitude towards learning;
- Dynamics of learning achievements.
If in a regular test it is not possible to assess achievements in the 10-point scale, teachers may use “pass” or “fail”.
10-point grading scheme for assessment
|Achievement level||Grade||Meaning||Approx. ECTS grade|
|very high||10||izcili (with distinction)||A|
||8||ļoti labi (very good)||B|
||6||gandrīz labi (almost good)||D|
|4||gandrīz viduvēji (almost satisfactory)||E/FX|
|low||3-1||negatīvs vērtējums (unsatisfactory)||Fail|
The Cabinet of Ministers regulations concerning students' assessment:
- CoM Regulations No.450 "Procedures by which state recognized documents certifying higher education are issued” - cancelled; in place CoM Regulations of 13 April 2013 No. 202 “Procedures by which state recognized documents certifying higher education are issued”;
- CoM Regulations No.141 "Regulations on the first level professional higher education state standard" (20.03.2001; with the amendments of 2009 regulations No.347);
- CoM Regulations No.715 "Regulations on the state general secondary education standard and standards of general secondary education study subjects" - cancelled; in place CoM Regulations of 21 May 2013 No. 281 “Regulations on the state general secondary education standard and standards of general secondary education study subjects”;
- CoM Regulations No.211 "Regulations on the state vocational secondary education standard and the state vocational education standard" (27.06.2000; with the amendments of 2010.gadā noteikumi Nr.826) ;
- CoM Regulations No.462 "Regulations on the state standard in basic education and in basic education study subjects' standards" - cancelled; in place CoM Regulations of 12 August 2014 No. 468 “Regulations on the state standard in basic education, basic education study subjects' standards and basic education study programme examples”.